Foundation Conservation CARPATHIA is committed to fully restore the Carpathian ecosystem
We aim to create a world-class wilderness reserve in the Southern Romanian Carpathians, large enough to support significant numbers of large carnivores and to allow evolutionary processes to happen.
The foundation shall contribute to the conservation and restoration of the natural Carpathian ecosystem, for the benefit of biodiversity and local communities, by acquiring, protecting and administrating forests and natural grasslands.
LIFE+ PROJECT CARPATHIA RESTORATION
In August 2012, FCC started the LIFE+ project “Ecological restoration of forest and aquatic habitats in the Upper Dambovita Valley, Muntii Fagaras”, with the goal to secure the remaining virgin forests and to restore the natural forest and river ecosystems. Actions include the control and repair of erosion on skidding tracks ...
EEA Grants Clear-cut Restoration
Following the forest restitution in 2005, massive clear-cuts have destroyed thousands of hectares in the South-Eastern Fagaras Mountains. Based on the experiences in the LIFE project and with financial help of the EEA Grants, FCC has started to restore another 100 ha of clear-cuts by rebuilding the forest floor on eroded tractor tracks ...
Wildlife Watching Programme
Wildlife populations in the Dimbovita Valley have declined considerably throughout the last 20 years due to poaching and overhunting. The CARPATHIA project has leased the 13,500 ha hunting area “Dimbovita Headwaters” with the goal to fully protect wildlife. In March 2015 we received funding from the EEA Grants to develop a wildlife watching programme ...
To develop a new economy around the future CARPATHIA National Park, FCC received financial aid from the EEA Grants to explore conservation values and business opportunities around the Fagaras Mountains. The development of conservation enterprises ...
Cobor Organic Farm Project
Conservation and business rarely go hand in hand. Due to a generous donation of Markus Jebsen, FCC received several hundred hectares of farmland in the village of Cobor, a remote and dream-struck village 13 km northeast of the city of Fagaras in the Transylvanian hills. We are now developing an organic farm, which combines biodiversity conservation on high nature value grasslands with the production of high-quality and healthy food …
Our footprint of fine figures
Of Hunting Free Zone
Saved for Full Protection
We invite you to join in on our CARPATHIA experience. There are good reasons to join:
Europe’s Wildest Mountains
The Carpathian Mountains are one of the wildest and most beautiful parts of Europe. Wolves, bears, and lynx roam the vast forests, almost the whole original flora and fauna is still present. There is no other place of comparable size left in Europe, where you can experience such stunning and pristine nature.
A place to reconnect with nature
CARPATHIA is a place to re-connect with nature, to recharge, to get inspiration, and to admire the best Romania has to offer. Some days or weeks in the mountains will certainly refresh your view and increase your passion for a wilder world.
The green backbone of Europe
CARPATHIA, the green backbone of Europe, is threatened by uncontrolled logging, overhunting, and uncontrolled development in these stunning valleys. By visiting with alongside CARPATHIA accredited businesses, you directly contribute to the development of a new economy, which is based on conservation and protection instead of exploitation and extraction.
Subscribe to get more infos
We are training guides, building wildlife watching hides, and preparing to have great opportunities to experience CARPATHIA. Our offers will start in 2017, if you want to be informed about these possibilities, please check the booking section and contact us at email@example.com
Natura 2000 Sites
- Dear friends of the forest, Here are our latest news about our activities. We hope you enjoy reading it! If you want to subscribe to our monthly newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will include your e-mail address on our subscription list. All the best! CARPATHIA team FieldRead More...
- CARPATHIA as tourism destination has been presented this week at the International Tourism Fair (ITB) in Berlin. Our colleague Iulia Florea, coordinator for our tourism & wilderness programmes, promotes our example of sustainable, environmental friendly conservation enterprises as there are: -4 wildlife watching hides in the Carpathian wilderness –Read More...
- Dear friends of the forest, It is our desire to keep you informed of all that our activities, so we compiled this monthly activity report about our project and its results. We will post it regularly on our website or send it as a monthly newsletter to our subscribedRead More...
- At CARPATHIA we celebrate the importance of the forest in every action we do: conservation, growing saplings in our 5 tree nurseries, replanting, erosion control, scientific research and management of protected areas. But how about celebrating the uniqueness of Fagaras Mountains with a party? We have organised in RucarRead More...
- Are you organized? Do you have NGO experience and environmental knowledge? You could be the Personal Assistant of the Exec Directors. Join our European unique forest conservation project! Details: ToR FCC Personal Assistant
- Dear friends of the forest, It is our desire to keep you informed of all that is taking place at Fundatia Conservation Carpathia, so we compiled this monthly activity report about our project and its results. We shall post it regularly on our website or send it as aRead More...
- “We make Romania green” is a promise of the Romanian medical network MedLife. We have started together a beautiful campaign: for each child born at MedLife we grow a tree. Medlife donates for the ecological reconstruction of 10 ha of clear cuts in Fagaras mountains. Videos and details aboutRead More...
- Try to find the sapling in the first photo from the gallery! Weeding around saplings is vital before winter, if we want a new forest! Without it, saplings would be suffocated by the grass and other pioneer species, that grow faster than the baby tree. Seasonal workers hired fromRead More...
- Wyss Foundation is supporting our forest conservation project in the Southern Romanian Carpathians. We intend to return all the forests protected by Foundation Conservation Carpathia to the public domain for permanent protection, in the form of a National Park. An interview with Hansjörg Wyss, one of the most importantRead More...
- We are a lucky team in FCC, as we get to combine office and field work, in different proportions, of course, according to our role in the organisation. But we enjoy the same way all that nature gives us! An album of us, committed to forest conservation. Foto credit: RăzvanRead More...