Foundation Conservation CARPATHIA is committed to fully restore the Carpathian ecosystem
We aim to create a world-class wilderness reserve in the Southern Romanian Carpathians, large enough to support significant numbers of large carnivores and to allow evolutionary processes to happen.
The foundation shall contribute to the conservation and restoration of the natural Carpathian ecosystem, for the benefit of biodiversity and local communities, by acquiring, protecting and administrating forests and natural grasslands.
LIFE+ PROJECT CARPATHIA RESTORATION
In August 2012, FCC started the LIFE+ project “Ecological restoration of forest and aquatic habitats in the Upper Dambovita Valley, Muntii Fagaras”, with the goal to secure the remaining virgin forests and to restore the natural forest and river ecosystems. Actions include the control and repair of erosion on skidding tracks ...
EEA Grants Clear-cut Restoration
Following the forest restitution in 2005, massive clear-cuts have destroyed thousands of hectares in the South-Eastern Fagaras Mountains. Based on the experiences in the LIFE project and with financial help of the EEA Grants, FCC has started to restore another 100 ha of clear-cuts by rebuilding the forest floor on eroded tractor tracks ...
Wildlife Watching Programme
Wildlife populations in the Dimbovita Valley have declined considerably throughout the last 20 years due to poaching and overhunting. The CARPATHIA project has leased the 13,500 ha hunting area “Dimbovita Headwaters” with the goal to fully protect wildlife. In March 2015 we received funding from the EEA Grants to develop a wildlife watching programme ...
To develop a new economy around the future CARPATHIA National Park, FCC received financial aid from the EEA Grants to explore conservation values and business opportunities around the Fagaras Mountains. The development of conservation enterprises ...
Cobor Organic Farm Project
Conservation and business rarely go hand in hand. Due to a generous donation of Markus Jebsen, FCC received several hundred hectares of farmland in the village of Cobor, a remote and dream-struck village 13 km northeast of the city of Fagaras in the Transylvanian hills. We are now developing an organic farm, which combines biodiversity conservation on high nature value grasslands with the production of high-quality and healthy food …
Our footprint of fine figures
of hunting free zone
saved for full protection
We invite you to join in on our CARPATHIA experience. There are good reasons to join:
Europe’s Wildest Mountains
The Carpathian Mountains are one of the wildest and most beautiful parts of Europe. Wolves, bears, and lynx roam the vast forests, almost the whole original flora and fauna is still present. There is no other place of comparable size left in Europe, where you can experience such stunning and pristine nature.
A place to reconnect with nature
CARPATHIA is a place to re-connect with nature, to recharge, to get inspiration, and to admire the best Romania has to offer. Some days or weeks in the mountains will certainly refresh your view and increase your passion for a wilder world.
The green backbone of Europe
CARPATHIA, the green backbone of Europe, is threatened by uncontrolled logging, overhunting, and uncontrolled development in these stunning valleys. By visiting with alongside CARPATHIA accredited businesses, you directly contribute to the development of a new economy, which is based on conservation and protection instead of exploitation and extraction.
Subscribe to get more infos
We are training guides, building wildlife watching hides, and preparing to have great opportunities to experience CARPATHIA. Our offers will start in 2017, if you want to be informed about these possibilities, please check the booking section and contact us at email@example.com
Natura 2000 Sites
- Dear friends of the forest, We would like to share with you the news about the CARPATHIA project! Enjoy scrolling through the beautiful pictures and the information we have consolidated for you, in this Field report January February 2019. All the best! CARPATHIA team
- Dear friends, We are pleased to inform you about our new project, an initiative with a vision to restore biodiversity and natural ecosystem processes to Europe’s landscapes. Foundation Conservation Carpathia (FCC) has the overall goal to develop a world-class wilderness reserve in the Făgăraș Mountains of the Southern Carpathians. FCCRead More...
- Dear friends of the forest, We would like to share with you the news about the CARPATHIA project! Enjoy scrolling through the beautiful pictures and the information we have consolidated for you, in this Field report December 2018. All the best!
- Dear friends of the forest, We would like to share with you the news about the CARPATHIA project! Enjoy scrolling through the beautiful pictures and the information we have consolidated for you, in this November field report 2018 A big thank you to all of you, who have supported us,Read More...
- On December 10th and 11th 2018, the Bucharest Biology Institute of the Romanian Academy dedicated its annual conference to the Făgăraș Mountains, due to their high biodiversity and natural importance in Romania and Europe. The international conference, entitled “Făgăraș Mountains – scientific arguments for creating a new National Park”, wasRead More...
- Dear friends of the forest, We would like to share with you the news about the CARPATHIA project! Enjoy scrolling through the beautiful pictures and the information we have consolidated for you, in this October field report. A big thank you to all of you, who have supported us, andRead More...
- Dear friends of the forest, We would like to share with you the news about the CARPATHIA project! Enjoy scrolling through the beautiful pictures and the information we have consolidated for you, in this July – September 2018 field report. Starting with October we will resume communicating monthly aboutRead More...
- Biosphere Expedition is organising an exciting wildlife programme in our project area, in September 2019. Romania is well known in Europe for its high value natural heritage: virgin forests, biodiversity, remote places and diversified wildlife. Here is an interesting opportunity to join our forest conservation project and our fieldRead More...
- We are glad to share with you the results of our Life + project, Ecological restoration of forest and aquatic habitats in the upper Dâmbovița Valley, Munții Făgăraș. Accessed in 2012, the funding of 5.8 million € (50% European Commission, 50% FCC and partners) helped us purchase 1,600 hectaresRead More...
- Dear friends of the forest, Here are our latest news about our activities. We hope you enjoy reading it! If you want to subscribe to our monthly newsletter, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will include your e-mail address on our subscription list. All the best! CARPATHIA team FieldRead More...