Foundation Conservation CARPATHIA is committed to fully restore the Carpathian ecosystem
We aim to create a world-class wilderness reserve in the Southern Romanian Carpathians, large enough to support significant numbers of large carnivores and to allow evolutionary processes to happen.
The foundation shall contribute to the conservation and restoration of the natural Carpathian ecosystem, for the benefit of biodiversity and local communities, by acquiring, protecting and administrating forests and natural grasslands.
LIFE+ PROJECT CARPATHIA RESTORATION
In August 2012, FCC started the LIFE+ project “Ecological restoration of forest and aquatic habitats in the Upper Dambovita Valley, Muntii Fagaras”, with the goal to secure the remaining virgin forests and to restore the natural forest and river ecosystems. Actions include the control and repair of erosion on skidding tracks ...
EEA Grants Clear-cut Restoration
Following the forest restitution in 2005, massive clear-cuts have destroyed thousands of hectares in the South-Eastern Fagaras Mountains. Based on the experiences in the LIFE project and with financial help of the EEA Grants, FCC has started to restore another 100 ha of clear-cuts by rebuilding the forest floor on eroded tractor tracks ...
Wildlife Watching Programme
Wildlife populations in the Dimbovita Valley have declined considerably throughout the last 20 years due to poaching and overhunting. The CARPATHIA project has leased the 13,500 ha hunting area “Dimbovita Headwaters” with the goal to fully protect wildlife. In March 2015 we received funding from the EEA Grants to develop a wildlife watching programme ...
To develop a new economy around the future CARPATHIA National Park, FCC received financial aid from the EEA Grants to explore conservation values and business opportunities around the Fagaras Mountains. The development of conservation enterprises ...
Cobor Organic Farm Project
Conservation and business rarely go hand in hand. Due to a generous donation of Markus Jebsen, FCC received several hundred hectares of farmland in the village of Cobor, a remote and dream-struck village 13 km northeast of the city of Fagaras in the Transylvanian hills. We are now developing an organic farm, which combines biodiversity conservation on high nature value grasslands with the production of high-quality and healthy food …
Our footprint of fine figures
Of Hunting Free Zone
Saved for Full Protection
We invite you to join in on our CARPATHIA experience. There are good reasons to join:
Europe’s Wildest Mountains
The Carpathian Mountains are one of the wildest and most beautiful parts of Europe. Wolves, bears, and lynx roam the vast forests, almost the whole original flora and fauna is still present. There is no other place of comparable size left in Europe, where you can experience such stunning and pristine nature.
A place to reconnect with nature
CARPATHIA is a place to re-connect with nature, to recharge, to get inspiration, and to admire the best Romania has to offer. Some days or weeks in the mountains will certainly refresh your view and increase your passion for a wilder world.
The green backbone of Europe
CARPATHIA, the green backbone of Europe, is threatened by uncontrolled logging, overhunting, and uncontrolled development in these stunning valleys. By visiting with alongside CARPATHIA accredited businesses, you directly contribute to the development of a new economy, which is based on conservation and protection instead of exploitation and extraction.
Subscribe to get more infos
We are training guides, building wildlife watching hides, and preparing to have great opportunities to experience CARPATHIA. Our offers will start in 2017, if you want to be informed about these possibilities, please check the booking section and contact us at email@example.com
Natura 2000 Sites
- Dear friends of the forest, It is our desire to keep you informed of all that is taking place at Fundatia Conservation Carpathia, so we compiled this monthly activity report about our project and its results. We shall post it regularly on our website or send it as aRead More...
- “We make Romania green” is a promise of the Romanian medical network MedLife. We have started together a beautiful campaign: for each child born at MedLife we grow a tree. Medlife donates for the ecological reconstruction of 10 ha of clear cuts in Fagaras mountains. Videos and details aboutRead More...
- Try to find the sapling in the first photo from the gallery! Weeding around saplings is vital before winter, if we want a new forest! Without it, saplings would be suffocated by the grass and other pioneer species, that grow faster than the baby tree. Seasonal workers hired fromRead More...
- Wyss Foundation is supporting our forest conservation project in the Southern Romanian Carpathians. We intend to return all the forests protected by Foundation Conservation Carpathia to the public domain for permanent protection, in the form of a National Park. An interview with Hansjörg Wyss, one of the most importantRead More...
- We are a lucky team in FCC, as we get to combine office and field work, in different proportions, of course, according to our role in the organisation. But we enjoy the same way all that nature gives us! An album of us, committed to forest conservation. Foto credit: RăzvanRead More...
- Cobor Organic Farm sustains an interesting cultural event, which Moara Veche – Alte Mühle – Régi Malom – Old Mill will organize in several villages and cities in Transylvania. Thursday, October 5th, at 18:00 at the fortified church in Cobor, the Hinz-Kunzt band (4 artists from Germany) will performRead More...
- Cobor is the perfect location for horses, due to wide, high natural value pastures. Rolling hills, secular oak trees, medicinal plants, birds and such a beautiful, intact landscape that we invite you to discover in the photos we took throughout the year. If you are looking for aRead More...
- If you consider yourself loving nature, you must urgently sign the petition below! https://campaniamea.de-clic.ro/…/fara-cariere-sonde-si-mine… Conservation Carpathia Foundation supports the Campaign initiated by Federația Coaliția Natura 2000 România regarding the rejection of the Legislative Proposal for the amendment and completion of the Emergency Ordinance No. 57/2007 regarding the statut ofRead More...
- We take soil samples at Cobor. Even doctors in Biology get calluses, when specialised instruments don’t work and pickaxe is used 🙂 Crocuses, clouds, hay and lots of organic onions. Be our guest and taste our wonderful food. Foto & research: Oliviu Grigore Pop
- We have joined the Protected Areas Week event, organized by Propark Foundation for Protected Areas, September 11-17, 2017. On Wednesday we have participated in the Open Doors Day, at the National Research and Development Institute for Forestry in Brasov. Thursday, at Tipografia, we have discussed with concerned citizens aboutRead More...